Ever try to argue facts and information with a Liberal? Ever come away from the encounter frustrated? Well, there’s a reason for that. Here are some excerpts from an interview with Yuri Bezmenov, a defector from the Soviet Union.
I know that intelligence gathering looks more romantic…. That’s probably why your Hollywood producers are so crazy about James Bond types of films. But in reality the main emphasis of the KGB is NOT in the area of intelligence at all. According to my opinion, and the opinions of many defectors of my caliber, only about 15% of time, money, and manpower is spent on espionage as such. The other 85% is a slow process which we call either ideological subversion, active measures, or psychological warfare. What it basically means is: to change the perception of reality of every American that despite of the abundance of information no one is able to come to sensible conclusions in the interest of defending themselves, their families, their community, and their country.
It’s a great brainwashing process which goes very slow and is divided into four basic stages. The first stage being “demoralization“. It takes from 15 to 20 years to demoralize a nation. Why that many years? Because this is the minimum number of years required to educate one generation of students in the country of your enemy exposed to the ideology of [their] enemy. In other words, Marxism-Leninism ideology is being pumped into the soft heads of at least 3 generation of American students without being challenged or counterbalanced by the basic values of Americanism; American patriotism.
The result? The result you can see — most of the people who graduated in the 60’s, dropouts or half-baked intellectuals, are now occupying the positions of power in the government, civil service, business, mass media, and educational systems. You are stuck with them. You can’t get through to them. They are contaminated. They are programmed to think and react to certain stimuli in a certain pattern can not change their mind even if you expose them to authentic information. Even if you prove that white is white and black is black, you still can not change the basic perception and the logic of behavior. [alluding to Pavlov].
So, It would seem, by the admission of a former KGB official, that their efforts were successful. If fact, the progress has even exceeded their expectations…
The demoralization process in the United States is basically completed already for the last 25 years. Actually, it’s over fulfilled because demoralization now reaches such areas where not even Comrade Andropov and all his experts would even dream of such tremendous success. Most of it is done by Americans to Americans thanks to lack of moral standards. As I mentioned before, exposure to true information does not matter anymore. A person who was demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell nothing to him, even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents and pictures. …he will refuse to believe it…. That’s the tragedy of the situation of demoralization.
Mind you, these words were spoken in the 80’s. I think we all recognize that the situation has deteriorated significantly since then. Think about politicians like Allen Grayson, everyone on MSNBC (and most of the MSM), and the public schools and universities. It’s all there. Rights that do not exist are created, and rights that do exist are denied. Capitalism is decried, and socialism is praised. Lies, deceit, thuggery, intimidation, propaganda, and media control are all practiced by the left, and are viewed as acceptable practices. They cling dogmatically to socialism, as it continues to destroy the country. They deny, emphatically, all evidence to the contrary, irregardless of it’s bulk and validity. Then, they turn and attack anyone that presents the truth.
It seems hopeless, but it isn’t. Since the last term of Bush, and especially since Obama’s election, more and more Conservatives have been speaking out. While the left has entrenched and are attacking with all of their resources (which are considerable), they are losing the debate, as well as the battle for public opinion. Our advantage is that they are still, in spite of their best efforts, a small minority. Our disadvantage is that while the left is statistically small, they are extremely well placed. Since their “long march through the institutions,” their impact reaches far beyond their numbers.
As usual, here are some ideas on how to deal with this situation:
1. Don’t engage a leftist unless you can bury them in facts. It won’t matter to the leftist, but anyone else that can see, hear, or read might be convinced by reality.
2. Stay on message. Leftists, when hit with reality, will change the subject to something that they think they use against you. The classic, “Where were you when Bush was POTUS?” is easily answered by saying, “where are you now?” You might be tempted to state that most of us didn’t agree with Bush’s policies, but then you are talking about history, and not what’s happening now. Also, you are defending yourself rather than dealing with Obama’s policies. Thread hijacking, ad-hominem attacks, lies, and logical fallacies are all part of the leftist playbook. Point out that they are not responding to content, and move on with your point. If they get shrill, let them, because you win!
3. Don’t allow yourself to be distracted. The infiltrators, the “anarchists,” and the MSM are all lying and/or threatening the movement. While these need to be addressed, they don’t have to be a primary focus. From what I saw, the Tea Parties did a fantastic job of identifying the infiltrators. That, and the message still got out, and that is the key. As for the MSM, let them say what they will. This blog, and many others, expose their lies on a regular basis. When they lie, and anyone can look it up on-line and see the truth, the more audience they will lose. Let them fall on their own swords. Basically, if your adversary is self destructing, get out of the way and let them.
4. Facts, facts, and non-violence are our weapons of choice. Stick with those, and we win. Forget the left, they cannot be convinced of anything. They will likely not overcome their programming. We are trying to convince the people that aren’t sure, and might still be able to think a bit. That too is working. More people are coming to our cause all the time.
5. Educate yourselves. Read, watch, and learn. A knowledgeable opponent will give the average leftist fits. Again, when they get shrill, we win.
6. Stay calm. If you lose your cool, you lose. The goal of the leftist, beyond taking you off message, is to upset you and make you lash out, rendering you ineffective.
To sum it up, this is the key to our victory.