Since our Republic is essentially on it’s deathbed, and Obama’s hand is poised on the plug for the final pull, many are contemplating their role in the new order. Do we quietly acquiesce, and accept our enslavement, or do we try to sabotage the nanny state by refusing be be sucked dry? Well, there is a way to legally and ethically resist the beast-it’s called “going Galt.” If you are unaware “going Galt” is a reference to Ayn Rand’s prophetic novel, Atlas Shrugged, in which the producers in a future America tire of being vilified and robbed by a nanny state. Their response was to drop out and refuse to produce, leading to the collapse of the corrupt system. Reaganite Republican has a good description of what it means to “go Galt.”
What exactly is ‘Going Galt’?
Think of it as a supply-side Cloward-Piven strategy…
starve the beast, rather than milk-it-dry:
‘Going Galt’ doesn’t simply mean getting angry. That would be “Going Postal.” It means having righteous indignation at the injustice of a political system that bails out individuals and institutions for irresponsible behavior and at the expense of those like you who prosper through hard work and personal responsibly.
‘Going Galt’ means asking in the face of new taxes and government controls, “Why work at all?” “For whom am I working?” “Am I a slave?”
‘Going Galt’ means recognizing that you’re being punished not for your vices but for your virtues.
‘Going Galt’ means recognizing that you have a moral right to your own life, the pursuit of your own happiness, and thus to the rewards you’ve earned with your labor.
‘Going Galt’ means recognizing that you deserve praise and honor for your achievements rather than damnation as “exploiters.”
‘Going Galt’ means recognizing that you do not need to justify your life or wealth to your neighbors, “society,” or politicians, or bureaucrats. They’re yours, period!
‘Going Galt’ means recognizing that the needs of others do not give them a claim to your time, effort, and achievements.
‘Going Galt’ means shrugging off unearned guilt, refusing to support your own destroyers, refusing to give them what Ayn Rand termed “the sanction of the victim.”
It means taking the moral high ground by explicitly rejecting as evil the premise of “self-sacrifice” that they sell to you as a virtue— in fact “self-sacrifice” is an invitation to suicide.
So, now that you know why, what about how? Well, Reaganite Republican has some tips as to how…
1. Buy used or new via secondary markets. Use Craigslist to find new stuff at less than retail… and you pay no taxes into the system.
2. Contribute to the secondary market by having a yard sale, you’ve probably got tons of junk you haven’t even seen in years.
3. Forget status symbols and keeping-up-with-the-Jones’. Maybe you can afford that nice new car, but you’ll pay A TON of taxes on it. Find a lesser vehicle that makes you happy that feeds the beast less, perhaps one bartered from within the family.
4. Invest and hold. Avoid taxable capital gains until Jan 2017.
5. FIX YOUR STUFF instead of replacing it. So many people look at durable possessions as disposable. Take those pants to the tailor, or better yet, get a used sewing machine and fix them yourself. Find someone with a welding machine to fix that patio chair.
6. Maintain your possessions properly. Clean the dust out of your computer. Keep on top of the car, house, and tools.
7. Plant a garden and grow as much of your own food as possible… and don’t forget spices in your window box, fresh is best anyway..
8. Enjoy life more simply. Choose a day at the park over an afternoon at the movies. Attend a church cookout instead of going to Outback.
9. Speaking of things like the movies – stop going (Ed- I did years ago). Wait for the DVD and rent it for $1 at Redbox. If there is a cheaper option to do something, take that option.
Or – here’s a radical idea – buy used books dirt cheap and READ.
10. Set up two days a week to run errands. Run them all at once and efficiently instead of wasting money (and taxes) on fuel. If your workplace offers a work-from-home option, TAKE IT. (The ‘green’ Left will love this one, but we’re talking about opportunities to avoid paying taxes into the system, while saving yourself some coin in the process) .
11. Create gifts instead of buying them.
12. Barter for goods and services under-the-table
13. Avoid all union shops, products, and services
14. If possible, move to a low-tax Red state
15. Lower the amount the feds withhold from your paycheck- just take the maximum allowable deductions. Yes, it may mean you have to ‘pay’ come tax time BUT if just 10% of the people who receive paychecks would do this it would put a severe crimp on the DC cash flow. Just stash the extra cash somewhere and come tax time if you need it to pay Uncle Obama well then you have it.
As you can see, it might be a sacrifice of sorts, but you won’t be feeding the government that wishes to enslave you. Of course, the choice to “go Galt” is yours to make, but anything you can do to no feed the beast, the better.