I’ve been thinking about the current political climate, as well as history, both recent and more remote. What we are seeing today is nothing new, it’s all happened before-a few are trying to dominate the entire population, and far too many average citizens have no idea what is really happening. So, I thought it might be a good idea to discuss what is going on now.
I look at OWS, the unions, as well as the multitudes of small organizations that are meant to Cloward-Piven the Republic. I consider that OWS participants number in the thousands, or perhaps the low five-figure area. In other words, all the occupiers combined represent the attendance at ONE of the larger Tea Party protests from 2009-2010. When compared to the Tea Party, the so called 99% isn’t even a drop in the proverbial bucket.
Then, I remember that unions only represent 11.8% of workers in the US. I also have to realize that among union workers, the vast majority never voted in a union election (for which they would have had to show photo id, by the way), and are only in a union because they had no choice. Also, when workers are allowed to leave the union, or are not forced to pay dues, many abandon the union. Consequently, the number of union members is not indicative of how many people support unions. As in the old Soviet Bloc, many would escape if they could, so the bosses keep them in against their will.
Also, they have community organizations, like the “organizations formerly known as ACORN.” These are the “grassroots” organizations that send people to protest in rented buses, with their identical, professionally printed signs, as well as their identical shirts, hats, or jackets. Or if the participants are lucky, they get paid to protest, even if they have no idea who or what they are protesting. Because, as well all know, real grassroots organizations have identically pre-printed signs, “uniforms,” pay people to protest, and use rented buses. You know, spontaneity, right?
What am I getting at, you ask? From what the evidence dictates, OWS, the unions, and all of the community organizations represent a tiny percentage of the overall population, yet they reserve for themselves the right to dictate all aspects of life to the rest of us. They have had a great deal of success. This success comes from several factors:
- They are organized. They coordinate with other groups and individuals. Not always all that well, but some organization goes a long way against small groups or individuals.
- Tactics: Most leftist groups use pressure tactics against organizations or individuals. These are tactics historically used by Communists, labor unions, or community organizers (or do I repeat myself?). Saul Alinsky compiled them in his book, Rules for Radicals, and they target individuals (in particular) for intimidation, harassment, and disruption in an effort to discredit them, and then to cause their capitulation.
- Additionally, their tactics do not have to have anything to do with reality. They seek to create a false perception, rather than deal with reality. The tactics are unethical and dishonest, but they don’t let that get in the way. For them, the ends justify the means.
- They are persistent: Leftist groups don’t let laws, elections, or even the Constitution get in their way. They come back for more. They raid union coffers. They pay more protestors. They bus in more goons. They engage in vandalism, extortion, or even violence in an effort to reach their objective. The will of the people means nothing to them. When defeated, they come back again, relabeled and slightly reconfigured, but underneath it all, it’s still the same.
- They are amoral: While that may sound like I’m pushing the envelope, there is some truth to this. First, consider that the first edition of Rules for Radicals was dedicated to Lucifer. Then, consider that they will lie, intimidate, coerce, strong-arm, extort, vandalize, and commit assault to meet their objectives. While being reprehensible, having a lack of morals leaves a lot of options open to them. Those options are rarely considered by their targets, who often do have a moral center.
With all of the above, they are able to make “noise” that is far out of proportion to their actual numbers. They attempt to create the perception that they represent a large segment of the population, when, in reality, they represent their own narrow interests. When they bus 500 goons to a banker’s house in order to intimidate a banker’s teenaged child, they try to make themselves look much larger than they really are. However, the fact is that the goons were likely paid to go, or otherwise offered incentives. It was structured, pre-planned, and completely fake. And, it only represents the needs and wants of the union bosses, not the public at large. In other words, they try to make David look like Goliath-by acting like Al Capone.
As for the future, I really see these groups continuing following the Alinsky playbook. Perhaps the frequency and level of violence will increase, but this is what they know, and they won’t depart from it easily. They are creatures of habit, and like all humans, will almost always return to what they know. That is their glaring weakness, and it is what will lead to their defeat-if we exploit it to own advantage. Here are some more thoughts on their weaknesses.
- Their adherence to a small set of tactics limits them. They have a hard time dealing with people that stand up to them. Like the schoolhouse bully, they don’t know how to take it when their presumptive victims refuse to submit. So, if people stand up to them, they’ll be rather perplexed as to how to deal with it.
- Since they are a very small part of the population, they haven’t sufficient numbers to attack a large number of targets simultaneously. If a significant number of their victims come forward, they won’t have the resources to hit all of them. As I noted earlier, they are successful because they can isolate small numbers, or individual targets at any given time. Then, the targets usually break, one by one, or are destroyed.
- Additionally, if their targets support each other, and work to counter the goons, they will have no clue as to how to respond. Most of their tactics are predicated on isolating individual targets. They can’t freeze or isolate a moving target, nor can they freeze or isolate people that stick together. Essentially, they don’t have a ”Plan B.”
- With the advent of social media, they aren’t able to hide their activities. In the past, they could harass individuals, destroy property, or even assault people, and the MSM wouldn’t cover it. And, in most cases, there would be no arrests. So, they are used to being able to project a kind face to the public, while acting like a criminal mob behind the scenes, or in the street-hidden behind the shield of a compliant media. Therefore, there are still in that mode of thinking that they can act with impunity. That will be a significant weakness for them.
- Social Media coverage also helps the targets of leftist groups. In the past, the isolation and intense thug tactics would be psychologically devastating to the victims, as they would feel very alone, and isolated. When one feels as if they have no friends or supporters, they are more likely to cave in to the demands of the goons. On the contrary, when people feel like they are supported, or others are going through the same thing, they gain strength to fight on. Now, thanks to social media, when someone is targeted, they can gain worldwide support. And, people all over the world will see the goon tactics in action. In general, people do not like thugs, so it will reflect poorly in public opinion.
- Pursuant to item 1, when dealing with tantruming children and bullies, when thwarted, will usually try to escalate their behavior or rhetoric. What that means is that when they are challenged, they may double down on their behavior, and do even more of what does not work. Again, that can be recorded and posted, and be used to expose them to an even greater degree.
- The denial of reality hurts the goons. As I noted earlier, goons depend upon creating a false narrative and perception to change opinion. The problem is that false narratives are easily crushed by reality. And, in the age of social media, the truth can be easily distributed. The more that the thugs put out false information that is easily disproved, the less credibility that they have.
When you think of it, it is already working. In decades past, would the public have known about what is “in” ObamaCare? Would Sandra Fluke’s story have “gone over?” Would the majority if the people believed that the Tea Party was just an new incarnation of the KKK without the hoods? I believe the answer to all of those is yes. So, we are having an impact, and we keep pouring it on, because information is the weapon of choice in this war.
Over a year ago, I posted an article about the nature of ideological warfare. In that post, I noted that there isn’t going to be an end point to this war for freedom that we are waging. There is never going to be a surrender ceremony, no VE day, or no VJ day. We need to recognize that, and even when we win a battle, the war goes on-it always will. Needless to say, we need to keep winning over people with the truth. It is working, and the more we do it, the more it will work.